Thursday 26 May 2016

Calling Out Cat Callers

Summer. Cat calling. Oh don't those two fit hand in hand.

Last week I was lucky enough to be informed, through the act of cat calling, that men found me attractive. Oh what a privilege that was. Finally I could believe that I was beautiful. Thank god I could finally see my own beauty, my own worth...oh wait I've known that for years and it didn't come about because a few twenty something guys told me.

No, I don't like cat calling. No it's not complimentary; it's just plain rude.

It isn't because I'm a feminist.

It's because I'm a self respecting female who doesn't wish to be treated as an object.

Why, why, why. Why do people find it necessary to voice their opinions in a gross and degrading way.

Yes I often aim to look good but, if you're going to be distasteful about it then please just keep your opinions to yourself. I do not need your approval to feel good about myself. I do not base how I look on how many men I can catch the attention of.

Do people really still believe that is a nice and considerate thing to do? Have people ever believed that or has cat calling always been a way to show dominance and power?

Don't cat call me. Don't cat call me. Don't fucking cat call me.

I am a 17 year old girl. I am not an object who exists for your pleasure. I am going to go far in this world and no, it's not because of how I look.

Don't objectify me. I am a human being and I deserve to be treated like one.

I shouldn't have to think twice about what I'm wearing because I may get made to feel uncomfortable by men who seem to be unable to keep their opinions to themselves.

Am I being naïve about this whole thing? Am I missing something? Was the educating on how to be a moron something I missed out on because of my sex?

Cat calling is not appropriate, not in summer, not ever.

What do people gain from making others feel uncomfortable?

There is nothing and I mean nothing pleasant about being cat called. All it does is make that person feel like nothing more than an object who isn't even worthy enough to be respected as a human being.

So next time you open your foul mouth to shout some form of sexist remark, don't. Instead to something much nicer, be a decent human being and keep your mouth shut.

--- Aimee ---







No comments:

Post a Comment

Truck Festival (Take 4)

Nearing the end of festival season in the UK, it is probably about time I got round to posting my annual Truck Festival piece. 2018 marked...