Wednesday 25 July 2018

A Perspective on Perspiration

Growing up with sport at the heart of my family - both myself and my brother were named after sportsperson's - I believe I was always destined to find enjoyment in at least one sport. Fortunately for my family, I didn't stop at one. In eighteen years I found myself taking part in a variety of activities including gymnastics, dance, trampolining, hockey, rounders, badminton and netball.

http://www.newlook.com/uk/womens-sale/jumpers-
cardigans/black-sparkle-slogan-cold-shoulder-sports
-sweatshirt/p/566913601
In spite of the revolutionary 'This Girl Can' and '#LikeAGirl' campaigns, it appears there is still some overarching stigmas around female participation in sport. This became clear to me while browsing New Look's sale online a few months back, only to come across an item of sportswear carrying the slogan 'I don't sweat I sparkle!'

Okay, I dislike sweat as much as the next person but come on, are you really going to deny that physical activity doesn't make you sweat? Of course it isn't the most pleasant thing in existence but it happens, it happens to us all.

It really is no wonder girls - particularly of secondary school age - fear how they might be seen if not looking their best 24/7 and that, of course, means not participating in sport, not showing their abilities and not exercising as they should.

Just recently in the PyeongChang 2018 Winter Olympics, snowboarder Chloe Kim was reported to have 'worked so hard on [her] eyeliner', begging the question as to why females even consider - or feel as though they should consider - applying makeup before taking part in sport. Sport isn't supposed to be about looks, it is supposed to be about ability.

It wouldn't be revolutionary of me to say that society is far too focused on the beauty expectations of women, that is a fact that we already know. But, why must looks even be a factor when it comes to sport? Sport is for you, for your own gain; whether that's winning a match or gaining fitness.

If I don't sweat during a period of exercise I worry. I want to sweat. I want to feel the gain of exercise and to feel good that I am achieving something. But sweating doesn't just come with exercise, it comes with everyday activities making the concept of sweat being gross even more bizarre considering most of us do it most of the time.

In 2018 can we please stop acting like women shouldn't sweat. We do sweat; a lot. Our boobs sweat, our butts sweat, our legs sweat, our faces sweat.

If you want us all to be these absolute goddesses with flat stomachs and toned bodies due to intense gym workouts, I'm sorry to burst your bubble but there will be a lot of sweat involved.

--- Aimee ---


No comments:

Post a Comment

Truck Festival (Take 4)

Nearing the end of festival season in the UK, it is probably about time I got round to posting my annual Truck Festival piece. 2018 marked...