Thursday 8 September 2016

Braless and Careless

#FreeTheNipple (as its known on many social media sites) is an often controversial campaign; one I'm about 95% on board with (5% of me is too scared of partaking in the campaign in fear of judgment).

The concept of normalising female nipples to be de-sexualised (if that's a term?) isn't really an irrational belief. Their whole purpose of nipples is to feed babies (unless I missed out on the memo telling men their purpose is sexual pleasure? Maybe it's just men that get that memo.)

It seems to be the case that you can show as much cleavage or boob as you want but the moment the nipple is released (like the wild animal it clearly is) there is outrage (usually from the likes of white-middle-class men like Piers Morgan (if he counts as middle class.))

I mean I get it and I don't. If it really were nipples people are so scared of seeing then why are people so quick to slut shame girls wearing low cut tops? Maybe (if we're lucky) these people would drop to the floor at the cheeky sight of a nipple.

It's especially ridiculous when women get sent out of restaurants and cafes for showing their nipples (or not even showing them in most cases) while breastfeeding (logic please????) 'It makes me feel uncomfortable' so what? Maybe I'm uncomfortable with your awful sense in fashion but I'm being polite about it. Plus its kinda a big deal, you know, feeding a living human, it's not an unreasonable request to want to breastfeed (if you have a child ofc, otherwise it is odd.)

You see, Free The Nipple actual means normalise and de-sexualise the nipple, not get your tits out for the lols (as many people see it.) There is a purpose to the campaign and it's a reasonable and achievable one. It just seems ridiculous that many men are enticed by nipples and tits but the minute you essentially give them what they want, you get scrutinised (probs because it's for feminism and not for their own desires to be met (oh poor you)).

Other than the social norm of wearing a bra (and I don't really get why it's the norm) and wanting my boobs to look good (or better should I say) there isn't really much point. For starters, shopping for a bra is the most annoying and lengthy type of shopping.

First you have to work your way through the range that M&S (it's the only place to find the right bra, lets be honest) have to offer and decide if you want a push-up, balcony, strapless, plunge, t-shirt, underwire or multi-way (to name a few.) Who needs that number of choices? I want a bra that's comfy and fits, is that too much to ask?

Then you have the 'oh shit I don't remember what size I am, mum (because mum means more knowledge and a free bra, so who's the real winner here) can you check' followed of course by the awkward *hope no one sees my naked back in the middle of M&S while mum checks the size which has probably faded by now* which is just as bad each time. And, if you're wearing a dress and not a t-shirt, you, my friend, are screwed.

If you're lucky and still have a visible bra size in your bra you then have the delightful task of finding 'the one' (bras, not boys; it's probably an easier task). White, black, skin colour, red, blue, pink; oh I don't care just give me a bloody bra.

Upon deciding on the nicest and most 'you' colour you'll probably find that it isn't available in your size (ha, peak) and back to square one it is. But if, low and behold, your size is there, you'll get to try it on and 9 times out of 10 it doesn't fit because the bra size from your balcony bra doesn't correlate with the same size in the push up one you've picked up. Oh well, no new bra for you today.

Personally I will only #FreeTheNipple in tight tops where a braless Aimee will not be a overcome-with-pain-especially-in-the-event-of-stairs-Aimee. Tight tops are a much nicer compromise and rarely even show everything. And I guess not wearing a bra isn't technically freeing anything except my inner feminist but I'm cool with that, after all that's the whole point of the campaign; not to literally get your nipples out (obvs).

So, I think you should all #FreeTheNipple whenever possible because bras are uncomfy and hard work and a commitment that I'm not willing to make.

--- Aimee ---

No comments:

Post a Comment

Truck Festival (Take 4)

Nearing the end of festival season in the UK, it is probably about time I got round to posting my annual Truck Festival piece. 2018 marked...