Tuesday 29 December 2015

You're All I Know

I have been meaning to write this post for a while now. Along with having other topics of which took priority over this one I never could find the correct words to fully explain my feelings. People have these things in their lives, those topics which just make them immensely happy, their obsession. No one really takes the time to even try to describe why they are moved in such a way or what brought this kind of love into their lives, it just sort of exists.

Imagine Dragons, that's who it is for me. Who makes me so happy, who I have indescribable amount of love for. My obsession, one of first obsessions, the band with a special place in my heart and life. I thought the title of this post (lyrics from The Fall) were quite apt, in many ways they are all I know.

I believe that, in this world there are two types of people. One type is those who have had their lives changed by music and the others are those who have not. I think you either understand or you don't. People speak of how a band or artist changed their life or saved them. To this many people laugh under their breath; they don't understand the reality of what these people are saying. For me there are a few bands which have had this effect.

I remember it vividly, the first time I listened to the band who I now place above any other. Well, I say vividly what I really mean is I remember who showed me their music and the place I was when I listened to it for the first time. What I don't recall is the year or the place I was visiting at the time (the place I was was a bus).

I would love to say that I was instantly drawn to them as soon as I heard Radioactive but I wasn't. In fact it was months before I listened to any of their music again. I had remembered the fact that I had quite enjoyed their music so I decided to check out some more.

Over the past few years I have listened to their music at various times. I guess I don't particularly have a single band or artist of which I listen to 24/7 because frankly I think I would quickly get bored of them. It sounds quite cliché to say they have helped me through tough patches of my life but it is true. They've been a constant, something I can always go back to and it will always be there. I need constants, its what I live off of. Imagine Dragons have always been there, reminding me that a hell of a lot of things might change but not everything has, a reminder of happier things in life.

I think I've needed it more than ever this year. Many, many, many things have changed and I've needed that single constant. It's helped me, cheered me up, got me through a hell of a lot. I'm so thankful I have had something to go back to each time, something to keep me sane in this insane world.

I would consider myself to be one of those people who really is moved by music, I often cry at moving songs and just last week I stumbled across the most beautiful sound I have ever heard. I don't know if it was Dan's angelic voice or the beautiful song that they were covering. (Please check out Imagine Dragons covering With or Without You, it is beyond the most beautiful thing.)

There are many, many more things I could say about this incredible band but frankly I have other things to do (mainly write more blog posts) and also I'm running low on what to say other than oh my god I love them so much, my heroes. Before rounding this off I shall say one last thing, a short recollection of the most amazing concert of my life.

Amongst many memories which will stick with me from this, one in particular will always hold a special place in my heart. The day I saw my hero's perform live and it was breath taking. I'm trying not to focus on this point too much because there are literally not enough words. I would never be able to fully express how incredible that night was. It was perfect, I was in love with the music, in love with Dan Reynolds (but how can you not be to be honest, I mean have you seen his hair!?)

Ever since the concert, listening to The Fall has given me goosebumps and made me tear up every time I've heard it. When Slaves did Shutdown as their encore it was pretty spectacular but this was just something else. It was indescribable, the atmosphere was out of this world. The aspect of the concert which I am most thankful for is how happy I was. It was the first time in years that I was genuinely and completely happy and I am ridiculously thankful for the occasion, especially considering they were going to cancel due to Dan being ill (I think I would have cried for weeks.)

I hope to attend many more concerts in years to come where I can once again see the band that rescued me from the dark again but, for now I'll settle for YouTube videos instead.

--- Aimee ---




No comments:

Post a Comment

Truck Festival (Take 4)

Nearing the end of festival season in the UK, it is probably about time I got round to posting my annual Truck Festival piece. 2018 marked...