Sunday 11 June 2017

Election Antics

A few months back I turned 18 meaning a world of possibilities had opened up for me. There were many things which I could now do to fully embrace my new found adulthood and one of them was the ability to vote.

With a snap election called earlier on in the year, my ears pricked up that, for the first time, I would be having a say in the future I wanted for my country. Living in a house where neither of my parents vote I was very much alone in my almost sudden interest in politics.

I (not so quickly) got to work researching different parties and their aims for the UK as well as looking at likely outcomes in my area. Tactical voting became a likelihood and I considered the option of sparking a local change rather than a national one.

Politics often causes a social divide and this election proved no different. The country was essentially split in two; those who had a rather traditional view of Britain and those who embraced the chance of a more modern approach to social issues. Or, more simply; conservatives and labour.


One thing I have learned from the election is that the older generation are never happy. There will be disappointed when only 65% of youth voters turn out to have their say. Then, when record numbers of 18-24 year olds do have their say, they will speak of brainwashing and a lack of understanding.

They will complain about the source of your information and dispute the fact that Theresa May isn't the wicked witch people see her as despite her views on foxes, the poor, LGBT communities, young people and immigrants. Remind me how this is simply the media being biased? Would it not perhaps be worse for the media to portray a candidate as a incapable clown purely because they fear change?

The dominant idea that the election was merely a two horse race was a dangerous one. Correct nationally but not regionally. Being labelled a 'plastic' Labour supporter for choosing tactical voting over wasting my vote by people who wouldn't be able to place Newbury on a map was not my finest hour. Why would I be willing to vote for the party who, last election, had fewer votes than UKIP, a party who shared only 10% of the vote?

One of the great thrills of the general election was the results (not forgetting of course #dogsatpollingstations). The sheer buzz of Labour winning safe Tory seats, Newcastle beating Sunderland to the voting declaration, seeing 208 women win their seats. Next election, I urge to stay up and watch just some of it, it is thrilling. And if I can get 3 hours sleep and proceed to get an A on a past paper the following day then you do not need to be worried about being tired (naps exist for a reason.)

Personally, the election did not work in my favour. My constituency remained a Conservative seat with 61% of the votes, giving no chance to either the Liberal Democrats nor Labour. Despite this, local turnout was at it's highest since 1997 with 73.4% making their way to their polling station to cast their vote, a figure which made me immensely proud.

A more hopeful result was Canterbury (where I am hoping to be come September) which saw a Labour win for the first time since the constituency was formed 99 years ago. Of course this is likely to be down to the fact that Canterbury is 70% students, the biggest demographic targeted in Labour's campaign.

Sadly, all the excitement and adrenaline that came with the election is now over. All the Corbyn hype, the Tory bashing, the political debates (of which my dad watched purely because he found it funny to watch people arguing with each other). It's going to be one hell of a long five year wait.

That's if we don't end up doing this all again in a few months time, and I for one wouldn't object.

--- Aimee ---

No comments:

Post a Comment

Truck Festival (Take 4)

Nearing the end of festival season in the UK, it is probably about time I got round to posting my annual Truck Festival piece. 2018 marked...