Thursday 25 June 2015

The Longest Ride

Just over a week ago, I decided that I would begin reading The Longest Ride by Nicholas Sparks as I had had it in my possession for a few months. I had known there was quite a large buzz about the book and the fact that it was being released in cinemas that week made me eager to begin.

The storyline of the book is absolutely marvellous involving such interesting and unique characters. The book is written extremely well, including every small detail needed but nothing more than is necessary. From the very first page I was immensely gripped and soon it proved very hard to put down.

I found the structure quite intriguing, with each chapter alternating the character who's perspective the story was being told from. By using this method, Sparks was able to introduce the opinion of both characters on a given that event which helped to see how each person viewed the situation. I find it very useful as a reader to know the feelings of each character at any given point as it assists the understanding of relationships between characters.

Four main characters were used by Sparks to create two separate love stories, eventually coming together to create a mystical tale of fate. The two couples appear to be complete opposites. One having already lasted a lifetime with all their adventures over and done with while the other shows a newly found love, with their adventures just beginning. Although the two relationships are worlds apart, it quickly becomes clear some of the similarities that the two couples share, foreshadowing the possible future of the young couple.

The two love stories that are told in this book are both equally as magical as each other but each making the reader feel differently. Personally, I felt upset for the older couple as Ira re-lived each of the treasured moments he had shared with his beloved Ruth. I felt it was fairly easy to grasp the pain he felt after being widowed by his one true love and having to continue in his life with no real purpose. He explains multiple times how he didn't want to go in and how his desire to live had escaped him when she had passed. I think the aspect of this which touched me the most was just how real this was. Thinking about the number of people who experience the death of a loved one and have to struggle on through life feeling desperately incomplete.

The young couple on the other hand portrayed an unexpected love found by two remarkably different characters. At first, their relationship seemed to be just a small fling and it was as though it would not work mainly due to the severe differences between the two characters involved. But as you follow the developing relationship, it becomes obvious that each of them need each other, even if they themselves don't realise it. I believe there is a strong message in this as I feel that people nowadays don't have a very clear idea how much they mean to someone else or how much they have helped them and it saddens me to think that some will never truly know. Sometimes you can influence a life so much and have no clue on the impact you have made.

A major similarity between the two couples is that the love is unexpected, whether it due to timing, lifestyles or differences. This aspect of the storyline is so extremely important. It shows the audience that sometimes something can happen and all of a sudden it becomes the most important thing to you. The book tells the audience that the best things in your life might not be planned but they will happen all the same and you will be so grateful for that.

I am so overly happy that I decided to read this book as it has made a huge impact on myself and how I view life. The one thing I hope more than anything else is that the film does the book justice and really gets across the pain, hope and ache for love that each character experiences.

--- Aimee ---




No comments:

Post a Comment

Truck Festival (Take 4)

Nearing the end of festival season in the UK, it is probably about time I got round to posting my annual Truck Festival piece. 2018 marked...