Monday 8 June 2015

Titanic

One of the best ways to get to know a person is by finding out what they enjoy. For me, there are many activities, films, books, bands, tv shows which I enjoy and class as my favourite. In the context of films, I have watched many which I have throughly loved and felt a connection to. Although I am not a film addict and rarely find the time to sit down to watch a film, there are a few films which I absolultey adore.

My favourite all time film has been my favourite film since I first watched it at the age of 7 and I felt instantly attached to the storyline and characters. In my opinion, it is the greatest film of all time and teaches so many lessons that a person should learn in their lifetime. This incredible film is Titanic. I really do feel like it is one of the films that everyone must watch at some point during their life.

Many people may argue that the ending is so well known that there really is no point in watching it, but for me, everytime I do watch it, I get just as enhanced as I did the first time. I think that even though most people know how it will end, that doesn't mean you can't watch it and enjoy it anyway.

I do apologise if you have not seen Titanic but for me it will always be my favourite film and one which I will forever adore and long to watch. I believe that one reason I feel this way is that it's quite a tragic film which tells an incredible story in such a brilliant way. I was told recently I have a quite varied film taste, something I had never thought about before. Personally, I think that one thing which makes me love a film is an element of tragedy, a quality I have began to love since discovering the masterpiece of a film which Titanic is.

The storyline itself is so wonderfully engaging throughout and each event which occurs grips you a little bit more an the previous time. The main theme of the film is based on the relationship which develops between Jack and Rose, the two main characters. The film teaches people that they should not worry about how they are viewed by others but just want to make themselves happy. This is portrayed through the love which blossoms between the third class passenger Jack Dawson and first class passenger Rose DeWitt Bukater upon the ill fated ship of dreams.

It can be argued that the entire film being primarily based on a relationship classes the film as a romance film. But I think the only way to truly understand the devastation which occurs is to watch the film. Yes, there is a lot of romance but also danger, heartbreak and despair which all work extremely well together to create an outstanding piece of art.

For the audience, one of the key moments of the film is where Jack and Rose first interact with each other at the rear of the ship. The dialog here is heartwarming and gives hope to the audience as Jack, who knows nothing more than the class of Rose, steps in to convince her that her life is worth living. I believe that this goes to show that sometimes you just need a single person to take action and your life will change dramatically, it about being at the right place at the right time. Throughout the film, there are so many moments where it seems that the romance between the two will end due to it being unacceptable and difficult, but the two always find a way to overcome their problems.

There truly a such a sense of tragic beauty in Jack and Rose's relationship. As said by Rose at the end of the film, Jack saved her in every way a person can be saved and it is show by an elderly Rose that she is deeply grateful for this. It is heartbreaking to watch Rose's final moments with Jack as she has lost the only person she ever met who showed her the true brilliance of life. I believe that any single person who watches this film is able to relate to the relationship, either as their own or one they aspire to have.

The film portrays the romance in such a sad but beautiful way and I really do encourage every single person to watch Titanic at least once, I promise you that you will be moved. There is so much more I could say in order to honour this simply incredible masterpiece but there are just not enough hours in the day.

--- Aimee ---





No comments:

Post a Comment

Truck Festival (Take 4)

Nearing the end of festival season in the UK, it is probably about time I got round to posting my annual Truck Festival piece. 2018 marked...