Sunday 9 August 2015

Expectations of Women

In society today there are so many expectations to be met in order to be accepted by those around us. One demographic that I feel are especially targeted by endless lists of expectations to be met are women. Obviously, saying that, I have had no personal experience with expectations of men. I fully agree that in today's day and age, each individual is expected to be something they are not. Everyone has criteria they think they should meet, some which will always be impossible to meet.

As a female, I have had first hand experience with high expectations to be met by me. From a young age I was told what women should do, what they should look like. Heavy influence from petite size models and flawless actresses made me have unrealistic expectations for the future.

Writing this currently, I am enjoying a very relaxing holiday away which, to be honest, has given me much of the inspiration to write this post. On the journey here I was reading a magazine. I have never particular been a fan of typical women's magazines. I do quite enjoy reading real life stories of tragedies and bizarre events but nothing like the typical gossip magazine. Reading the magazine that I was made me remember why I don't like or enjoy them.

On a double page spread of the magazine there was numerous articles about celebrities who had put on weight. There were several pictures of the celebrities and small pieces of writing about how they had come to put on so much. The part which got to me the most was that the weight of the celebrities was printed in large on the page. I could write endlessly about why this was so wrong but I hope that most of my reasons are pretty obvious and, also, this is not the path I am going down with this post.

My mentioning of this page on my post is because of double standards. On the very next page of the exact same magazine was another load of articles. This time on celebrities who were getting too thin, not eating enough, trying too hard. Again posted with the weights of the females. Yes females. Ok, maybe it's because its usually women reading the magazine so women are mentioned in the magazine. But, as far as I'm aware, there isn't a magazine which does this for men, or, at least, not to this extent.

The weights being listed is practically telling women that a certain weight is too fat but another is too thin. It's absolultey ridiculous in my opinion. You shouldn't define people by their weight or clothing size. I won't pretend that I don't feel men are made to feel like they need to meet certain standards. I understand that the majority of today's society have standards that they are expected to reach but can't. It is such a horrible concept. To think that you have to be as other people want you to makes me feel sick. Each person should be able to be whoever they want to be, do whatever they want to do.

There are far too many comments made each and every day about how "people won't like you if you do that" or how "that's not something boys/girls are supposed to do/like". What does it matter as long as that individual likes it?

I'm sure there are loads of judgemental comments made by girls about boys. But, with the enviorments I am in, mainly being school, I hear way more male contributions about how women should be. People seem to have the idea that the perfect women needs to have a flat stomach, a pretty face, slim legs (but not too thin), nice boobs, a good bum. They need to be into sports but not more sporty than boys, be into outdoorsy activitys but not so much that it's classes them as a tomboy, wear makeup to make them look nice but not too much for them to be seen as fake.

Being into sports, outdoorsy activities and makeup are all down to personality and are able to change. People change their opinions on things all the time. Yes, women can change the fact that they don't have a flat stomach, slim legs or a good bum, but it's their choice. And then there's the other things. The pretty face. The good boobs. The things we, as females, have no control over.

People just don't seem to be able to accept that women come in all shapes and sizes. Without proportion to height, muscle amount or body structure, weight really doesn't mean anything. Far too much is expected of women and it is very heavily down to the kind of women people are supposed to look up to and aspires to be like.

If a women wants to go out and make the effort to get a gorgeous body, that's her decision. But, similarly, if she's comfortable in her body and doesn't want to do anything to change it, that's ok aswell. It really shouldn't matter because everyone's body is beautiful and wonderful and terrific. No one should have to change for any other reason other than them wanting to.

So don't worry about not meeting the standards that society expect you to reach. You could be trying your very hardest and still not reach them. They are unrealistic. Being flawless is overrated. Loving the body you are in and not feeling the need to change is way too underrated.

Stop listening to the magazines and other sources which are telling you exactly how you need to be. With the right people, you will be perfect exactly how you are. It's just a matter of time before you find those people, and when you do, don't ever let them go.

--- Aimee ---








No comments:

Post a Comment

Truck Festival (Take 4)

Nearing the end of festival season in the UK, it is probably about time I got round to posting my annual Truck Festival piece. 2018 marked...