Friday 16 October 2015

A Developed Music Taste

Growing up I always had a peculiar music taste. Heavy influence from both my parents meant I spent many of my younger years listening to the likes of The Beatles, Madness, Simply Red (which was the first concert I ever went to) and other bands who were primarily deemed as '80's' bands. I remember that most nights I would put on my 'Smash Hits 80's' video before going to sleep and be enhanced by the music videos as well as the music itself.

It never really occurred to be that I had a strange music taste. Bands I listened to had been around 30 years prior to me listening to them, some dead, some broken up but it didn't bother me. In my eyes it was real music. I went through stages of liking and disliking current pop music. I think that most of the time I was just listening to it because it was catchy and it was 'cool' to be into that sort of thing.

When I first began to have my own CD's I had a very varied mix. My first CD's consisted of that of; Leona Lewis, Taylor Swift, Ed Sheeran, Michael Jackson and many different Now's. I don't ever really think that I thought I was 'cool' by listening to the music I did, more that I just listened to what I enjoyed.

Everyone, no matter who they are has a favourite band. Obviously with time that changes but there will always be that one band that would have been your first obsession. The band that you knew all the members of, all their songs. The band that was the reason you learnt what an obsession truly was. I'm not ashamed to admit that, for me, that band was Steps.

Even today, when I go back and listen to one of their songs, the memories of my childhood come flooding back. To be honest, I don't actually know why I got into them. I have absolutely no regrets of spending so much time listening to them but how it panned out in that way is a mystery to me. Sure, many would say that they were just a cheesy, typical early 2000's band but lets face it, they were good and their songs were darn catchy.

Over the years, I have become attached to many other bands but I don't think I'll ever find a band which will be able to replace the way I felt about the first band I ever loved. Since Steps, I would say that my other main obsession bands would probably be; Westlife, U2, Bon Jovi, Scouting for Girls, Imagine Dragons, Slaves, Green Day, My Chemical Romance and Neck Deep, all of which I have gone through phases of listening to a shit tonne and then barely listening to.

I wouldn't be able to explain my music taste to someone if I tried. More recently I have got into more punk/rock music but still with hints of older music still there. Many times I have given up mid-way through creating a playlist because I know I will miss out many bands and genres by accident because there is just too many to list.

Other than the few bands which I adore, there is one big issue when it comes to music I like, that issue is being a single-song-addict (ok I just made that name up). But seriously, for some reason there are about 30 different bands/artists where I only really like one (or two) of their songs. I'm sure if I had the effort I could get into more of their stuff but honestly, who has the time?

I don't particularly understand people who exclusively attach themselves to a specific genre. My main question to those people that do is; how? For me, the punk/rock genre appeals most and includes many great bands, artists and songs. So yes, I would say that is my main music genre. But I honestly don't think I could listen to Green Day all the time and not listen to the likes of Taylor Swift, McFly and Coldplay.

Sure, if I'm in my room I'll regularly blast out some Neck Deep or My Chemical Romance but, at the same time, if a 'Top 100 Power Ballads' show was on, I would hurry downstairs and enjoy my heart strings being torn apart.

I think that's what my music has in common, the ability to tear a person to shreds through the magic of words. There are plenty of songs which I can't listen to without feeling like an emotional wreck and I love it. Truly Madly Deeply//Savage Garden, My Heart Will Go On//Celine Dion, Bed of Roses//Bon Jovi to name a few.

It's a very special thing, when you find a song and it give you chills. I listen to some songs and just think 'holy shit how can a human voice be strung together in such a way that the sound is similar to that of what I imagine an angel must sound like.' Whether its the lyrics, the music or the vocals, it's close to that of perfection.

I know that I'll never find a singular group which all my music falls into but that's ok. I like to be able to transform from a rebellious punk to worshipper of the angelic Taylor Swift within the switch of a song. No amount of persuasion will ever convince me that I have to stick to a single genre and, because I don't have to of course that means that I won't. Why would you limit yourself on a topic as vast as music? Why would you want to exclude the perfection of any given genre?

Enjoy as much music as you can, no matter how different because sometimes we discover things which make us feel a way which we never before thought was possible and sometimes it's the best feeling on this entire planet.

--- Aimee ---







No comments:

Post a Comment

Truck Festival (Take 4)

Nearing the end of festival season in the UK, it is probably about time I got round to posting my annual Truck Festival piece. 2018 marked...