Sunday 12 July 2015

New Friends

I am currently able to speak as a person who has taken part in week one of NCS and I must say how brilliant it is. I went into it knowing few people who would also be there which worried me as I don't find making new friends a very easy task to carry out. I know how little confidence I have when it comes to new people so, in some ways, it was my worst nightmare just being put with people I didn't know.

To be quite honest, having chosen drama for my skill, I was panicking in more than one way. My first worry was the the people would be obnoxious, confident and egoistic. With my second being that I dread the idea of performing in front of people. In my very stereotypical mind, I was expecting very confident, loud and self-concerned people. I was conscientious of how I would be able to deal these people for the coach journey there, let alone a whole week with them.

But luckily, to my complete suprise, they were all very down to earth. No one stood out to be the main leader or the most confident. Everyone was welcoming and most were also in the same 'friendless' situation which made it so much easier to make friends. I felt so comfortable with them all so quickly which, in my opinion, is one of the best feelings in the world.

I will admit that it wasn't until the first evening that I made an effort to get to know everyone which I was believe was due to my usual worry that people find me annoying or just dislike me in general. But I soon learnt that they are the kind of people where conversation flows as if you've known each other for years.

NCS as a whole has been incredible so far. I'm so grateful that I have the opportunity to spend even more time with such remarkable people. The first week has been incredibly challenging for me, both physically and mentally. Physically, I have encountered several bruises, cuts and sprains which made the activities even more challenging to participate in. It is because of this that I am even more thankful for my group as they were honestly the most encouraging people I could have had to help me out.

There is no way imaginable that I could thank everyone in the group enough for making me feel so extremely welcome and just for generally being so nice. Never in my life have I met a group of people who I could trust so easily and be able to talk to so freely. I am actually quite surprised how well they have all dealt with me as I am more than aware how annoying I can get.

Although I am fearing the drama side of the upcoming week, I feel so much more confident about it knowing how relaxed I feel in the group. I have honestly had the best time so far and I cannot wait to see everyone again. Personally, I just adore being surrounded by people I get on with and feel comfortable with. I know that they will all encourage me throughout the next week and help me to reach my goals as they have already done.

I find it so peculiar how people you have just met can mean more to you than people you have known a lifetime. It really goes to show that it's not the length of time you have known someone but more the type of person they are and just how well you connect. I feel as though I have known them all for such a long time already but it's a wonderful feeling that we still have loads to talk about as I still barely know them.

I have managed to conquer so many fears already and I will hopefully be able to conquer even more next week. NCS has been an incredible opportunity and I'm still only a third done. The activities have been fantastic and really have pushed me, helping me realise what I can do if I put my mind to it. I would again talk about the amazing people I have met but I'm going to assume the message has got across by now.

On that note I will end things by saying that I am so excited for the next week purely because I will get to see everyone again and be in the presence of incredible people. And to those people who, like me, worry about people liking them, take a chance, be a person wo wouldn't expect yourself to be because the outcome could be great. Act confident even if you don't feel it and you will soon find new friends. Do things out of your comfort zone, risk things and you will be thankful. Thankful for a change, thankful for the life you could have, thankful for the new people in your life.

--- Aimee ---






No comments:

Post a Comment

Truck Festival (Take 4)

Nearing the end of festival season in the UK, it is probably about time I got round to posting my annual Truck Festival piece. 2018 marked...