Wednesday 8 July 2015

Prom

Last week I attended my final day as a year 11 at my school. The day consisted of a leavers assembly, shirt signing and also a prom later on. To be quite honest, I wasn't too sure what to expect from the day nor did I know how I would feel at the thought of no longer being in year 11. For me, it didn't concern me much to be leaving as I know I will be returning there again in September but at the same time, there are others who I know will not.

Prom itself was pretty incredible despite my previous worries that I would not enjoy it. The occasion was spectacular and definitely lived up to the high expectations everyone had of it. I thoroughly enjoyed myself although it saddened me that it might be the last time I see some people. Personally, there are very few people leaving who I will miss which I am relieved about. However, the people who are leaving I will miss dearly.

Anyone who I will miss I was never especially close to but I will still miss them all the same. For me, it's not about people who I can talk to about anything or spend all my time with but more about the people who have impacted my life in a positive way. I won't bother to name names but there is one person who I really will miss who always managed to put a smile on my face and I am devastated that they are not going to continue to make me smile throughout the next two years.

I feel like I am a complicated person when it comes to my friends. There is no particular group which I completly associate myself with which made prom more interesting as I was able to go and speak to whoever I wanted to without being tied down to an individual group. I found that it was the perfect opportunity to speak to some of my friends who I hadn't seen in a while and have a catch up about life in general.

Of course the main concern about prom was appearance. Without wanting to sound too soppy, everyone did look absolutely gorgeous. Everyone's dresses looked incredible and peoples hair and makeup also made them look additionally beautiful. The build up to prom was, without a doubt, completly worth it which made the event itself more special.

It was so lovely to see everyone really enjoying themselves at prom and feeling comfortable with who they were with. I think it was one of the only times where I have seen members of different groups split off in order to talk to their other friends without it being frowned upon.

The ending of prom lead me to be attending an after prom party which was also fantastic. I managed to speak to a fair few people who I hadn't spoken before which was lovely. Thankfully, I also managed not to drink too much, meaning I was able to look after most of the other people who had drunk more than they should have. To be honest, still being sober at a time where almost eveyebody else is drunk is extremely underrated. People often say that you don't have as much fun but actually it feels so much better to be able to look after other people who really appreciate your help.

It wasn't like I didn't drink, I did have a number of drinks but, due to drinking them all fairly early on, I managed to sober up for the latter part. Thankfully, I am not too bad after drinking and the only thing I gain is a more confidence which is what I lack most of the time anyway so really it benefits me. It probably thanks to alcohol that I've managed to speak to so many new people at the past few parties I've been to.

Looking back on both prom and the after party, I am thrilled to see how much I have changed over the past few weeks. Had prom been any earlier, I honestly don't think I would have been as relaxed and sociable as I was. I am so eternally thankful to everyone who has helped me become this person that I am now and to those who made me feel so comfortable at prom.

I have learnt that I honestly do have the best friends. I may not always show it but deep down I know that they are incredible and I know just how grateful I should be for them. I am so upset that some of the most amazing people are leaving me next year but at the same time, I hope they have the best next couple of years because, my god, do they deserve it. So thank you to everyone who is leaving who has helped me, made me smile or who I have had the privilege of calling my friend, go make some brilliant friends and have a truly wonderful future. I will forever cherish having you in my life and you have impacted me in such a way that I could never make it up to you even if I tried.

--- Aimee ---






No comments:

Post a Comment

Truck Festival (Take 4)

Nearing the end of festival season in the UK, it is probably about time I got round to posting my annual Truck Festival piece. 2018 marked...