Sunday 19 July 2015

Truck Festival

I will begin this post by apologising for leaving a week between posting. I did try to write a little something on Friday but I had no ideas if I'm quite honest. I guess from that you can figure I've had a rather busy week.

I won't bore on details but, in brief, I completed the second week of NCS, performed in a drama piece, had many emotional conversations and attended a festival. Although it has been busy, it wasn't until the festival that I felt I had anything to write about. My week was extremely interesting due to being so emotional, challenging and heartwarming but I don't particularly want to bore anyone with explaining my feelings and just my life in general.

All I will say on my week is that it has been tough and I have felt quite down but I am so grateful to have such incredible friends to help me out. I am aware I usually blog without mentioning names but this week I feel as though it would be wrong not to mention them. So, if you guys are reading this, Ruby, Ciara, Sam and Lewis, thank you so, so, so much for this week, I'm not sure I could have dealt with everything without you all. I may have only known you all for a short while but you are all truly amazing, as are everyone I have met at NCS, and I could never thank you enough for how much you have helped me.

Anyway, back on topic because I can imagine that me spilling my thoughts on dealing with shitty days isn't all that interesting. So, over the previous weekend, I attend a festival. I guess it was my first proper festival and, oh my god, was it amazing. The festival in discussion was Truck Festival in Oxfordshire.

If you are unfamiliar to Truck Festival, it's basically a music festival mainly consisting of up and coming bands. In my personal opinion, the highlight would have to be seeing Slaves. Incredible isn't a good enough to word to describe it if I'm honest. Prior to their performance, I knew a few of their songs so I already knew I would like them. However, the atmosphere was brilliant and something I never could have even imagine.

Personally I would describe Slaves as a alternative rock/punk band which kind of suggests what the atmosphere and music was like. Although I am really in to rock music, I haven't really been to a rock concert before (probably due to all the bands I like being either dead, split up or no longer touring). So for my first real rock concert, it was even more amazing than it would of been have it been my fifth, sixth or seventh rock concert.

I assume people know of the kind of environment rock concerts are, lots of dancing, moshing and very loud singing. I should probably explain that I attended the festival with my aunt, uncle and two of their friends meaning I was kind of being looked after (if slightly drunk people are able to look after others that is). Cleverly, my aunt decided we would stay near the side as to not get too pushed around by everyone else.

Probably quite obviously, being a fairly small person doesn't mix well with concerts in general and mixes even less well with moshing. Despite needing a hell of a lot of energy to be constantly jumping and singing simultaneously, there's also an endless worry of literally being crushed by grown men who are double your size. Adding to this worry, being against a wall means that it is ridiculously easy to get squashed between said people and the wall itself.

The music itself takes away a fair bit of this worry as it is so extremely brilliant, making people feel slightly more at ease I guess. Moshing itself is absolultey fantastic and so fun to do even with all the worry. Luckily as I was with 'responsible' adults, I wasn't too nervous about any of it as I knew I would be safe. Saying that, when people start setting off flares in a confined area where almost everyone is drinking alcohol, it gets quite unsettling.

Aside from seeing the brilliant wonder which are Slaves, another highlight would have to be the disco we attended late last night. It's times when music released 25 years before I was even born is played and I can sing the whole thing off by heart that I wonder how odd my music taste actually appears to others around me. The music they were playing was excellent and, what I would call disco music.

Sometimes I think that it's not always the music being played or who is performing but the atmosphere and the crowd themselves. Personally, I just like to be able to sing and dance to the music and just enjoy the moment really.

The festival in all has made me so extremely excited for more concerts and festivals to come, especially the concert I am attending in November. But that's a story for another time.

--- Aimee ---









No comments:

Post a Comment

Truck Festival (Take 4)

Nearing the end of festival season in the UK, it is probably about time I got round to posting my annual Truck Festival piece. 2018 marked...